Successful careers begin with positive mentoring, beneficial development of skills, and memorable moments! HEI offers a variety of internship opportunities that translate to future employment possibilities. This summer season, HEI welcomes nine interns to our team. Internships can provide post-college career growth and plenty of in-the-moment fun. An HEI internship focuses primarily on your goals and long-term success while also fully immersing you into our work culture, fun experiences, and job advancement potential. Over the past decade, approximately 32 interns have become full-time staff members.
Learn more about our new interns below and wish them a warm welcome. Visit our careers page to find open positions across our firm and join our team! www.houstoneng.com/careers.
Ted Bridges is working in the Des Moines office as an intern for the summer. He works with various projects and engineers in the office. Ted is from West Branch, IA, and is attending the University of Wisconsin-Platteville majoring in environmental engineering. He is expected to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in spring 2023.
- Pet(s): Dog named Ivy
- Hobbies: Golfing, hunting, and other outdoor activities
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Puerto Rico
- Favorite Food(s): BBQ
- I’m excited to be part of the HEI team because I’m looking forward to working in a close-knit office atmosphere and having many opportunities for my career and personal growth.
Luke Eichten is an intern in the Maple Grove office performing engineering responsibilities. He is attending North Dakota State University and is a native of Maple Grove, MN. Luke is expected to graduate in spring of 2024 with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.
- Hobbies: Photography, staying active, and playing music
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Cabo San Lucas
- Most Memorable Concert: Soundset in 2018
- Favorite Podcast(s): The Joe Rogan Experience
- Currently Watching: Barry and Better Call Saul
- I cheer for the: Pittsburgh Steelers
- Random Fact(s): I’m a music nerd and listen to all kinds of music. Right now, my favorite is Jason Aldean.
- I’m excited to be part of the HEI team because HEI seems like a very welcoming and strong company.
Jonas Mitzel is returning for another summer to intern with our survey team in Bismarck. He will primarily work outside the office, assisting with survey and/or construction phases of various projects. He is attending the University of Mary where he is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and expecting to graduate in spring of 2023.
- Hobbies: Hunting, fishing, being outdoors, spending time with friends, and sports
- Most Memorable Place Visited: New York City
- Favorite Sports Team: Minnesota Vikings
- Best Weekend Activity: Going fishing and hanging out on the river
- Currently Watching: The Office
- Random Fact: During the first game of the state class B basketball tournament in his senior year of high school, Jonas ruptured his spleen.
- Top Destination on Must-Visit List: Hawaii
- Best Advice Ever Heard: You only live once!
Sam Ihrke joins the Fargo office as an intern working with our Transportation team. Sam has spent two previous summers interning at HEI and is attending South Dakota State University. He is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering and is anticipated to graduate in the spring of 2023.
- Hobbies: Fishing, water sports, gaming, and weightlifting
- Pets: German shepard named Delta
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Alaska
- Favorite Food(s): Lasagna and chicken alfredo
- Favorite Podcast(s): Crime Junkie
- I cheer for the: Minnesota Vikings and the Duke Blue Devils
- Top Destination on Must-Visit List: Bora Bora
- I’m excited to be part of the HEI team because I have enjoyed my last two summers with HEI and have learned so much. I’m excited to continue with a company and staff that has treated me so well.
Daniel Jantzen is interning this summer at the Fargo office. He will perform survey duties for various projects. Daniel is a native of Alexandria, MN, and is attending North Dakota State University. He is expected to graduate in spring of 2023 with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering.
- Hobbies: Hunting, fishing, running, playing with my two dogs
- I cheer for the: NDSU Bison and any Minnesota team
- Favorite Food(s): Cheeseburgers
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be and why? I would freeze time so that I could nap more often.
- How do you start your day? Drinking coffee
- Favorite Sports Team: Calgary Flames
- What led you to this career? One of my high school teachers suggested it.
Zach Wulfekule is interning in the Fargo office. He will be spending much of his time doing outdoor surveying and construction phase activities. He is from Colfax, ND, and attended North Dakota State College of Science. In spring 2022, he earned an associate’s degree in land surveying and civil engineering technology.
- Hobbies: Playing guitar, grilling, basketball, and watching Netflix
- Pet(s): A dog named Puddles
- Most Memorable Place Visited: South Africa
- Most Memorable Concert: I’ve only been to one concert, a group called the Newsboys.
- I enjoy listen too: 80s Rock
- Currently Watching: Supernatural
- Random Fact(s): I play six different instruments.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be and why? I would choose teleportation so I wouldn’t have to pay for gas.
Ryan Winkel is an intern at the Omaha office working with engineering staff. He is a native of Parker, CO, and is currently attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He is expected to graduate in spring 2023 with a bachelor’s degree in biological systems engineering.
- Hobbies: Golfing, fishing, hockey, and tennis
- Pet(s): I have a border collie/Alaskan malamute named Marley and a box turtle.
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Most Memorable Concert(s): Kenny Chesney and Thomas Rhett
- Currently Watching: The Office and Parks and Rec
- Currently Reading: The Hunger Games book series
- I cheer for the: Huskers, Colorado Avalanche, Denver Broncos, and Denver Nuggets
- Random Fact(s): I am left-handed.
Jered Huscroft joins the Omaha office as a summer intern. Jered is a native of Omaha, NE, and is attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He is projected to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in civil engineering in spring 2024. He will be learning about engineering responsibilities throughout his internship.
- Hobbies: Sports and the gym
- Pet(s): Three dogs
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Cancun, Mexico
- Most Memorable Concert: Post Malone
- Favorite Food(s): HuHot
- Random Fact(s): I can do a backflip.
- How do you like to start your day? With a big glass of water
- I’m excited to be part of the HEI team because I’m interested in learning about how to use my degree, other than just in a classroom setting.
Schaefer Rogers will be interning in the Omaha office and assisting the engineering staff. Schaefer grew up in Nebraska and spent most of his childhood involved in the engineering world. He loves working in the field and has gone with his mom, a long-time FYRA employee, on many surveying projects. He is a current high school student, and plans to attend Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas to study civil engineering.
- Hobbies: I love to fly and am working on my pilot’s license. I also love fishing and being outdoors.
- Pet(s): Two dogs named Mabel and Mosely
- Random Fact(s): I'm good at woodworking.
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Hawaii
- Favorite Food(s): Steak
- How do you like to start your day? With a nice big bowl of Reese’s Puffs.
- What led you to this career? It has always interested me, and I think that this path will allow me to use my knowledge in the best way possible and still have fun.