HEI offers a variety of internship opportunities that translate to future employment possibilities. Two employees, Zach Wulfekuhle and Jacob Garder, have transformed their internships into full-time positions. Additionally, Kaitlyn Qualley began working part-time this fall as a HR Generalist and has moved to full-time status. Learn more about these three employees below.
Kaitlyn Qualley is a HR Generalist in our corporate office in Fargo, ND. Kaitlyn supports our HR team by reviewing and editing HR records for data integrity, assisting with onboarding of new staff, coordinating safety training, maintaining forms for HR processes, maintaining HR content on HEI's internal website, and providing general assistance to employees.
A native of Burnsville, MN, Kaitlyn earned her bachelor's degree in psychology at North Dakota State University and recently graduated in December 2022.
- Hobbies: I enjoy doing anything outside like walking, running, frisbee golfing, and hanging in a hammock. My favorite thing to do in the winter is cross-country skiing. I also love to spend time with my family at the lake in the summer.
- Pets: I have no pets yet, but I hope to get a cat soon.
- Random Fact: I will graduate college after two and a half years thanks to completing PSEO classes in high school. I'm also left-handed and left footed, but I swing golf clubs and hockey sticks like a righty would.
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Waipio Valley, Hawaii.
- Favorite Podcasts: Sheologians, Femina, The Kings Hall, Cultish, A Couch Divided, and The Antithesis.
- How do you like your coffee? Black
- How do you like to start your day? My favorite way to start the day is with a cup of hot coffee, a book, and a fluffy blanket.
Jacob Garder began as an intern and is now working as a full-time civil engineer in our Omaha office. Jacob will expand upon his past HEC-RAS modeling experience (1D and 2D), watershed water quality planning, and design assistance in water resources projects in his full-time position. He is from Blair, NE, and attended the University of Nebraska. He holds a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and a master's degree in civil engineering specializing in water resources.
- Hobbies: Baseball, running, hiking, landscaping
- Random Fact: I am left-handed and I have a twin.
- Most Memorable Place Visited: Iceland
- Most Memorable Concert: Luke Combs at the Mile High Stadium in Denver
- Favorite Food: Lasagna
- Favorite Movie Genre: Action/Adventure
- Top Destination on Bucket List: Switzerland
- I cheer for the: St. Louis Cardinals
- If you had to erase all but 3 apps from your phone, which ones would you keep? Apple Music, Messages, MLB App
- I’m excited to be part of the HEI team because I know I will get many opportunities to grow as an engineer and as a professional.
Zach Wulfekuhle began as an intern and is now working as a full-time survey technician in our Fargo office. He spends much of his time doing outdoor surveying and construction phase activities. He is from Colfax, ND, and attended North Dakota State College of Science. He holds an associate degree in land surveying and civil engineering technology.
- Hobbies: Playing guitar, grilling, basketball, and watching Netflix.
- Pet: A dog named Puddles
- Most Memorable Place Visited: South Africa
- Most Memorable Concert: Newsboys
- I enjoy listening to: 80s Rock
- Currently Watching: Shameless
- Random Fact: I can play six different instruments.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be and why? I would choose teleportation so I wouldn’t have to pay for gas or airplane tickets.